10 Incredible Facts You Didn’t Know About Shen Yun Performing Arts
Sugarloaf Craft Festivals are excited to welcome Shen Yun Performing Arts to each of our remaining 2016 Fall Tour events! The world’s premier classical Chinese music and dance company will bring their unique talents to our events throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region. Here are 10 facts to know before experiencing the magic.
1. Shen Yun Performing Arts was founded in New York in 2006. as elite Chinese artists sought to revive traditional divine Chinese culture and share it with the world.
2. Before the establishment of Shen Yun, 5,000 years’ worth of Chinese performance art was on the brink of extinction, as the current Chinese regime has worked to eliminate traditional values.
3. There are five Shen Yun touring companies that travel worldwide, performing at more than 150 different theaters annually. They are accompanied by a symphony orchestra that uses both Western symphonic and traditional Chinese instruments.
4. Shen Yun performances incorporate every type of traditional Chinese performing art, including dance, singing, music, costumes and animated backgrounds for an immersive and enchanting experience.
5. Each two-hour show includes about 15 dance pieces with 3-4 solo vocal or instrumental works mixed in. The dance numbers each have their own theme, story and background.
6. Many of the company’s mini-drama pieces are based on stories and legends that have been documented throughout Chinese civilization, giving you a historical snapshot in each performance.
7. The organization is non-profit and operates outside the influence of the Chinese regime, attracting award-winning talent from around the world to carry on ancient traditions.
8. The literal translation of “Shen Yun” is “the beauty of heavenly beings dancing” – which you’ll surely appreciate after experiencing the high-flying techniques, exciting music and beautiful costumes.
9. Each performance is hosted by bilingual emcees, and all lyrics appear translated on a screen. So even if you don’t speak Chinese, you’ll still be able to understand and enjoy the performance.
10. If you’d like to experience more, you can join the Friends of Shen Yun, a free fan club that includes a monthly e-newsletter, computer desktop wallpapers, original games and store discounts.